Monday, April 30, 2012

I Couldn't Imagine





I couldn't imagine a day when he would speak, but he did.
I couldn't imagine him being able to climb stairs on his own without falling, drink from a cup without spilling, eat with a fork and spoon on his own, and ride a bike, but he has learned these things.  
I couldn't imagine a day when he would be able to tell me his name, say yes and no, follow a direction when asked to do something, name objects and colors,  count to 10, but he can! 
These things did not come easy, it took months, or in some cases, years of practice for them to happen, and they still don't happen all the time.  But they happen.
Now I can't imagine a day when he will be able to read, write his name, have a real conversation, have a friend over to play, go to the bathroom on his own with no help or accidents.  Hopefully these things  will happen one day too and I'll have a new list of things that I can't imagine. 
Sometimes when I see other kids doing these things so easily, it hits me like a ton of bricks.  I feel angry or hopeless and wonder why it has to be so unfair.  Then, I have to remind myself to stop comparing and just keep up hope that anything is possible for my son too.  He will make his own progress in his own time.  Don't take the normal everyday things your child does for granted.  Celebrate every accomplishment, no matter how small.  It can be difficult, but each time life gets a little easier for my son, when he feels joy, or has more independence, I smile.

8 comments:

  1. thanks for making me think Melissa. sweet:-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautifully written. Thank you for putting my stressful morning into perspective. The pic of your son with the frog in the car really made me chuckle too :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just in time....got my son's eval report yesterday and well, this made me feel better and to remember that he'll need more time to accomplish things. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the reminder...we went for a family walk the other day and I let myself get down...watching the other families with their kids on bikes or just learning with training wheels while my son is still in a stroller and I am working as hard as I can to get him to say "dog" or "bike" when one goes by. It's hard to see what others have so effortlessly but your right...you have to keep up hope and treasure very milestone.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks ladies! Believe me, I don't always practice what I preach. It is hard to stay positive, but all we can do is try. Thanks for the comments!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you, once again, for saying what my heart is feeling.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love this! It's so true for me!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I feel this one, and no matter what milestones he makes or doesn't, I keep cheering him on. Who knows how far they can go?

    ReplyDelete